One of the most difficult cleaning jobs ever is tackling blood spills on carpeted floors. This is so because carpeted floors are highly absorbent. Carpeting is a popular interior décor item in many homes today, which is why property owners should respond swiftly to any spills in these areas. You can always rely on a blood spill cleanup service to get this job done quickly and professionally.
Cleaning up blood on carpeted floors is the same as any other area, but with slight differences. Unlike non-carpeted surfaces, you need to disinfect and sanitize carpeted surfaces thoroughly.
If you are dealing with blood spill on carpeted floors, there are a few things that need to be done. These include
Blood or other bodily fluids can set quickly when on a porous surface like carpets. This makes the cleaning job a lot more difficult. Don’t wait for too long before cleaning the spill, otherwise, you have a herculean task to handle. While on this, be sure to protect yourself and take all necessary precautions. Keep the area secure and ensure everyone is safe.
Use the right cleaning products
Using a bleach solution or other decontamination products can cause further damage to your carpet. Blood spill cleanup service will only consider using the best cleaning agent designed specifically for this kind of work. There are lots of carpet shampoos and cleaners on the market to choose from.
The size and nature of the spill will determine the steaming procedures to apply. Steaming will remove all harmful pathogens and remove debris from the affected site. Keep in mind that steam cleaning a blood spill requires additional costs.
Change Carpet Tiles
Removable carpet tiles are a great way to protect against any form of contamination. Apart from making the cleaning job a lot easier, they are less expensive compared to traditional carpets. A heavily soiled area that requires decontamination will be easier to clean. Just remove the tiles and sanitize the affected area. If the removable tiles are still in great condition, you can decontaminate and fix them. If otherwise, then consider replacing them.
Steps to Disinfecting Blood Contaminated Areas
The basic steps in cleaning an area contaminated by blood and bodily fluid are listed below.
- Get your PPE ready. Regardless of how small or big the cleaning surface is, make sure you wear your PPE. This is very important
- Contain the spill to prevent the spread to unaffected areas
- Spray using the right disinfectant to kill all contaminants and deadly pathogens on site
- Remove excess fluid using absorbable towels and dispose of rightly
- Extract absorbed fluid using a wet vacuum
- Re-disinfect and leave it to dwell for at least 20 minutes to be sure you have eliminate all the pathogens. repeat the disinfection process again
- After completing the final round of disinfecting, rinse the area of the disinfecting solution
- Leave it to dry
- Properly dispose of all used and contaminated items in a biohazard waste bag
Remember, cleaning up biohazard can be harmful. It puts your health at risk, if you make any mistake. Instead, leave it to the professionals.