Surgeries of any kind involve various components, articles, and apparatus. Especially after surgery, the doctors have to close the incisions. The wound usually takes several days to recover so the doctors have to close the wound to prevent bleeding and infection. The article used to bring about the closure of the wound is called a suture. The process of closing the wound is called suturing. The suture application usually involves a thread and a needle. The sutures are classified as absorbable and non-absorbable. The absorbable sutures are digested naturally by the enzymes of the body but the non-absorbable sutures are not. Chromic catgut suture is a type of absorbable suture that is used to perform various surgeries today.
CHARACTERISTICS OF CHROMIC CATGUT SUTURES:
- It is a natural absorbable suture
- It is manufactured from the highly purified connective tissue of the intestine of sheep and goats. It is chemically treated and the strands are woven together to form a suture of uniform diameter.
- The chromic suture has high resistive power because it is possessed with chromic salts. This supports the wound for longer periods by resisting the body’s enzymes.
- The absorption period of chromic catgut suture is 60-90 days.
- It has an optimal tensile strength to hold tissues together.
- It is dark brown.
- It absorbs faster in infected tissues.
- It is uniform in diameter.
- It possesses good knot security.
- It passes through the tissues smoothly without causing tissue drag.
- It has high flexibility that makes it easy to use.
- It is available in the market at affordable prices.
- It is a twisted multifilament with a monofilament in appearance.
- It is sterilized by ethylene oxide.
INDICATIONS OF CHROMIC CATGUT SUTURES:
- General surgery
- Gastrointestinal surgery
- Ophthalmic surgery (eye surgery)
- Obstetric(deals with the female reproductive system)
- Episiotomy (incision made in the perineum)
- Cuticles and ligatures
CONTRAINDICATIONS OF CHROMIC CATGUT SUTURES:
- Cardiovascular surgery
- When extended wound support is required, chromic catgut suture must not be used.
- It should not be used if a patient has a compromised immune system.
- It should not be used if the infected wound is allergic to collagen or chromium.
STORAGE OF CHROMIC CATGUT SUTURES:
- It is stored in dry and cool conditions
- Re-using, re-sterilization and re-processing are not recommended.
- Repeated sterilization must be avoided.
ADVERSE REACTIONS THAT MAY OCCUR WHILE USING CHROMIC CATGUT SUTURES:
Some patients may experience;
- Allergic reactions
- Irritation at the wound site
- Inflammatory responses
A chromic gut suture is a modification of plain gut sutures to improve strength. These sutures cause minimum inflammatory reactions. The name catgut is derived from a combination of words cattle and gut. The most well-known natural material of absorbable sutures is catgut. There are certified companies that are chromic catgut suture exporters in India. There is a wide range of chromic catgut suture manufacturers in India that manufacture, supply and export them. As the number of surgeries has increased over the years, there is a rapid growth in suture companies around the globe. Surgeons should be familiar with and well aware of all the techniques and methods to use chromic catgut sutures and follow all the necessary precautions.